Pages

Thursday 1 November 2012

Bookery's End (for Mags!)


I'm typing this on my first official night as a non-Bookery worker. I am not adjusting well to the transition!  I have not, contrary to my usual aspirational declarations, got the dinner dishes cleared, nor have I been spending quality time with my family. I have been adding the final final touches to my Autumn Garland!
 
I started it somewhere around mid-October, on a Thursday night in the Bookery- last piece of Hookery that I did in the Bookery, as it transpired.  Guru Patricia, obviously, sorted out the best technique for my chain.  This is a 4mm hook working its way through my unknitted St Mungo's hat!


 
Ah but then, here's the Patrickia.  Then I used a 6.5mm hook and simultaneously worked on a chain using the original thin chain as yarn.  But as this still hung a bit too limp I also started working with an 8mm hook and made a really chunky chain from the medium chain that sat patiently in the middle.  Great result if you're looking for a heavy rope-like chain from which to hang things.  Also great entertainment for a morning in bed after Book Club with a husband in Glasgow and two children reasonably occupied about the house...
So here is the finished result- well, minus the final final touches of two more pieces for each end tonight.
I used four yarns- St Mungo's, a ball of red from the Afghan sampler box, a small ball that I suppose I stole from the Aran we worked Lorna's fiftieth birthday cafetiere cosies from, and an amazing thick felting wool that I bought ages ago in Craftworld.
The felting wool made two gorgeous leaves and one huge flower that hangs right in the middle.  By far my favourite pieces.

 
The flower pattern came from the set text- it's the flower that sits on the Peaked Toddler Hat. Patricia found me the two leaf patterns, saving me my nearly first Etsy purchase!  This open leaf I didn't like in the wools I had, though you could say that it curls in a very spider-like way which could be appropriate enough for the spooky season.  However, the maples I loved.  All three were very easy to work, even for me!
So there we go. I will be looking forward to visiting the Bookery soon, and counting on being back at Hookery at the Dockery or wherever. Much, much love to Heather Boss and Patricia- I am very proud of this group that we formed, and am amazed at how it has taken on its own impetus and form.  Happy Hooking  from Pumpkin Land x



8 comments:

  1. Many, many thanks for these great photos, Mags! I've been wanting to see what this garland was like. I also love those leaves and the twirly flower. This is a GREAT idea -- esp. the chain-into-a-chain-into-a-chain. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mags we missed you so much in the bookery last night. Lovely photos. It looks like 'job well done' as you sit surrounded by pumpkins with teddy's outfit complementing your tights.(The dishes can wait). I know you will pay many a visit to the Hookery birthplace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love it, words and all! Fantastic garland and the leaves do look so much nicer in colour than on a black and white photocopy. Mags, is the garland actually constituting one completed project? I'm sooo proud of that achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those tights. I love them. I have a red/black pair.
    but orange and black...wow!
    And the garland. So impressed.
    You mean that after all that, you never finished your St M's hat?
    NB I only have one crochet hook - should I invest in a larger one for thicker chains?

    blessings my garlanded friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the garland so I won't be sending "Scotland Yarn" to arrest you for theft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really should be an award for the wittiest commentators of blogs. You and Ang would be joint first every time!

      Delete